|7-8 AUGUST, 2004
Humanitarian leaders of 15 like-minded ANS met in Johannesburg, South Africa in August 2004. This meeting led to the following resolution:
In taking responsibility for their own development African National Societies will:
- Seek to uphold the highest standards of good governance and management
- Be accountable and transparent
- Work more closely with their governments while maintaining independence
- Work closely with the private and corporate sectors
- Better communicate activities in-country and outside by engaging local and international media
- Raise more funding and other resources locally
- Recruit professional staff to manage ANS
This resolution resulted in the creation of the New Partnership for Red Cross Red Crescent Societies (NEPARC), a network of African humanitarian leaders committed to working together and to strengthening the capacity of Africa-based humanitarian organizations.
This is the first partnership of its kind in Africa that establishes a coalition of humanitarian organizations dedicated to self-sufficiency through developing new partnerships, operations and tools to collectively change the status quo.